What are overnight oats you ask? They are simply just oats soaked in water or almond milk over night. A lot of people get the term confused, and often ask me “why are they called overnight oats?” or “where can you buy overnight oats”, but it is literally that simple! Then why soak them in the fridge over night? That answer is simple to: you do it to get a different taste and texture. It may taste weird the first time you try it, trust me, I didn’t like it my first time, but after a couple more times, I fell in love.
Everybody makes their overnight oats differently, but here’s how I made mine the first time i tried it, and I’ve been doing it this way ever since! Plus i like how I layer mine with yogurt rather than mix it all together because I love getting a spoonful of oats and granola with yogurt. The combination is just delightful.
What you’ll need: dry oats, almond milk, granola/muesli, Greek/soy yogurt, blueberries, strawberries, almonds, cashews, peanut butter
1. For your first layer, add some yogurt to a jar.
2. Pour in granola or muesli.
3. Add in cashews, almonds, and some cut up strawberries and blueberries.
4. Add another layer of yogurt
5. In a separate bowl, pour in 1/2 cups of dry oats.
6. Mix in a little bit of water or almond milk, and stir them up until you get the texture you like. (Not too runny, not too thick)
7. Add this layer on top of the yogurt.
8. Add some peanut butter on top(optional), along with some fruit.
9. Seal it with the lid, and leave it in the fridge over night!!
And voila, simple overnight oats, that taste heavenly in the morning, and are quick and convenient if you’re in a hurry.